Came home today to an empty house…so out to the workshop I went. It’s been a couple weeks since I started working on the used Hamvention Astrons. I decided to start with the one that looked best on the inside. Ironically, it’s the one that was dirtiest on the outside. I put everything back together and checked to make sure that all electrical connections were made. After searching the the junk box I found an appropriate plug for the 240 VAC required to operate this power supply. Plug it in and flip the circuit breaker….
I was ready for anything. Amber had just bought me a fire extinguisher for the shack so I figured I should have that ready, just in case. I was met with popped fuse after I hit the switch. I did notice that before fuse popping there was movement on the meter. Not to be outdone, I had to up the ante. Into the drawer for a bigger fuse. The six amp fuse didn’t do it but the fifteen amp fuse held for me. I let it run unloaded for over an hour and it never moved from 13.56 VDC. Not bad for a start. Next task is to experiment with it by loading it up some. Hoping it holds up to some pressure. I need to get some old car sealed beam headlights and wire them up in parallel for my test fixture. This seems like the easiest way to make a test load. If all goes well I want to make one of these my primary shack power supply. Should be all the power I could ever need!