It’s a dreary Sunday morning today here in Indiana. I finally got around to hooking up the hamfest special HG-10 to the DX-60A. For once I think I may have hit upon radio success on my first attempt. The $40 VFO seems to be working just fine. I haven’t even attempted to clean it up or check the tubes yet. I just decided to plug it in and hope for the best. I’ll still need to order a copy of the manual since Heathkit manuals are no longer freely available on the web. Darn copyright laws! I suppose it could use some tweaking and adjustment…and also a good cleaning. Here’s a shot of the transmitter and VFO on the workbench.
I haven’t hooked it up to a microphone yet to check it out on AM but I have a D-104 that should go nicely with it, though. Now I’ll have to work on one of my receivers so I can pair them up as a boatanchor station. I did monitor my power output into a dummy load using the graphical display from my WaveNode WN-2 meter. I keyed it up with my trusty old J-38 and seem to be getting normal output. Not exactly enough power to be East Coast Control like Joel, but maybe good enough for a few QSO’s.
Just for fun I decided to tune in the output on the Flex-5000. I wanted to see how far off the VFO analog display is from the actual freq. Well, I figured out the reason those old radios have a Spot function for getting the XMTR and RCVR in synch. It’s not exactly dead-on like the new stuff! Fortunately with the 96 KHZ display on the PowerSDR I quickly found the signal and was able to tune it in.
I’m glad to be free from the crystal now and able to move freely across the bands. I think this is probably a decent investment given the cost of crystals for any frequency one may want to try to operate. It may be a long cold winter so I should have plenty of projects in the shack.